Roulette offers a wide range of professional opportunities to join our administrative and technical staff. Our employees come from various backgrounds and fields and work collaboratively to accomplish mission-based projects and objectives.
To apply for any of the opportunities below, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with your name and the name of the position in the subject line.
Due to a large volume of applications, only those candidates being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Roulette is an equal opportunity employer. Our roles are filled without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.
Director of Communications
Roulette Intermedium, New York’s premier space for the promotion and presentation of contemporary experimental performing arts, seeks a dynamic, experienced, and energetic Director of Communications to engage new and existing audiences and promote adventurous music, dance, and intermedia performances. This is a full-time position with benefits.
Working closely with the Executive Director and reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Communications manages strategic planning for communications and oversees the creative development and production of all outward-facing materials, marketing efforts, and public relations initiatives aimed at raising Roulette’s public profile and increasing performance attendance.
- Regularly communicate with programmed artists to obtain marketing materials for press releases and Roulette’s website, zine, and concert programs; work with artists to understand their projects and determine strategies for communicating them clearly and compellingly to distinct audiences and the press; develop promotional plans and pitch stories to the press; cultivate and build lasting relationships with members of the media.
- Update and develop content for Roulette’s website; participate in the working group dedicated to launching Roulette’s audio and video archive, which will interface with the current website.
- Maintain a consistent visual identity for Roulette while introducing new creative elements; oversee or collaborate on the design of a variety of assets, both physical and digital, including significant outdoor signage, the Roulette zine, annual reports and fundraising materials, invitations to special events, video highlight reels, etc.
- Manage a department of two: the Communications and Digital Content Manager, who is responsible for social media marketing and liaising with the press, and the Videographer and Post-production editor, who photographs, films, and edits performances for promotional assets and Roulette TV. Provide guidance to both members of this department with an eye toward growing Roulette’s press list and securing coverage of Roulette’s 40th anniversary activities; increasing social media engagement; determining performance documentation priorities and plans; creating multi-media promotional campaigns for individual performances, festivals, and Roulette as an institution; and increasing views of and engagement with Roulette TV. The Communications Director may also oversee seasonal interns or fellows and outside consultants.
- Oversee the creation, production, printing, and distribution of the Roulette Zine (three issues per year): develop content; oversee design elements; gather information about the season’s performances, funding, and other regular institutional information to be included in the zine; secure advertisers; create a distribution plan.
- Create campaigns and send regular e-blasts to promote Roulette performances and other institutional priorities (e.g. fundraising campaigns and Roulette’s venue rental program); significantly grow and meaningfully segment Roulette’s mailing lists; pursue cross-promotional opportunities with other arts and cultural organizations.
The successful candidate will have five or more years of professional marketing and communications experience, preferably working for a contemporary performing arts venue or non-profit. Familiarity with Roulette’s programing and contemporary experimental music, dance, and the media arts in NYC and beyond is imperative. The position requires excellent writing and superior project management skills, in particular the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a timely, organized fashion. Candidates must be creative and strategic thinkers with strong and informed points of view about visual identity and communication strategies. This position, like all roles at Roulette, involves extensive collaboration with Roulette staff across multiple departments, so the ability to both lead a team efficiently and serve as a responsive and respectful team member is essential. Expert knowledge of WordPress and MailChimp and proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects) is required. Ideally, candidates will also have strong graphic design skills, with a keen aesthetic sense and point of view. Experience working with SalesForce, Patron Manager, or other CRMs is a plus.
Some evening and weekend availability is required. The Director of Communications is highly encouraged and at times expected to attend Roulette performances and special events.
To be considered, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Director of Communications” in the subject line. Please paste your cover letter into the body of your email. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Roulette offers hands-on internships for college students and recent graduates throughout the year. This unique opportunity provides working knowledge of a non-profit music venue with access to some of the world’s most exciting contemporary composers and musicians.
Roulette operates with a small staff and our interns will interact with all departments on a regular basis. Responsibilities will range from event production to press and public relations to administrative tasks. Intern candidates must possess a strong command of the English language, excellent communication and writing skills, as well the ability to work and function in a dynamic and creative environment.
Interns work a minimum of two days per week for a full trimester on a voluntary basis. In addition, interns may be asked to assist staff with evening and weekend programs, special events and other Roulette projects. The internship may be used to fulfill academic credits or requirements. Roulette is unable to provide intern candidates with visas or stipends.
Audio Engineering & Archiving
An immersive introduction into all aspects of audio engineering and recording with hands-on experience with live sound performances. Interns will assist the Production Manager and crew with set-up and breakdown of equipment, organizing inventory, and editing audio files for archival purposes.
For interns interested in the historical origins of Roulette Intermedium and experimental music, there are opportunities to work in audio archiving and database management. This position requires superior organizational skills and familiarity with computer-based audio programs.
Marketing & Online Communication
An internship with Roulette’s marketing department is an excellent opportunity to learn more about public and media relations, online communication, and graphic design. Interested applicants should have excellent writing and communication skills, as well as familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and Web editing and design.
Interns gain insight into the administration of a non-profit music venue, which includes event production, outreach and community partnerships, as well as educational initiatives for Roulette Kids. Applicants should be enthusiastic about interacting with the public and engaging Roulette’s diverse audience. This position may require working some weekends and occasional weekends, as needed.
Development and Fundraising Interns
This internship is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in learning more about the fundraising process, from cultivation to stewardship. This department requires interns who have experience or education in donor handling and research, membership, grants, and other aspects of non-profit development.
Roulette TV is an on-going innovative video series, which presents unique contemporary music in compelling and engaging performances given by the creators themselves. Interns selected to work with Roulette TV are involved in all aspects of the creative process of video production, from interviewing artists and composers to editing episodes. Candidates must have knowledge of video editing software.
Applications Due Dates:
Fall – (September-December)
Applications due by August 1st
Spring – (January-May)
Applications due by December 1st
Summer – (June-August)
Applications due by May 1st
*In special cases, applications are also considered on a rolling basis.
Volunteer at Roulette
Roulette is committed to remaining accessible to all members of our community. Volunteer at Roulette and see shows for free!
For more information about volunteering at Roulette, please email us at email@example.com.
Roulette offers an open call for performance proposals and submissions once per year, closing on May 1st. At this time, we are unable to accept proposals for dance performances.
Please note that in order to complete the application you will need to include 3 to 5 Work Samples representative of your proposed performance. Music files must be mp3 format ONLY and must not exceed 10mb each. You may provide links to video and Intermedia work. Current press reviews or clippings are not required, but are highly encouraged.
All applications are reviewed after the May 1st deadline. Due to a heavy volume of applications, only those applicants being considered for performances will be contacted. No phone calls please.